The Earth’s climate has undergone a change in the past but never before have humans had such an influence on climate change as they do today. In the past, the earth’s climate was affected more by natural occurrences such as volcanic eruptions, changes in the earth’s orbit, & variations in the amount of energy given off by the sun.
Whether you realize it or not climate change has affected you!
While you may not feel like things have changed climate change evidence is all around and so are the effects of it.
- Ice is melting all over our globe and fast (relatively). This includes not only ice at the North & South poles but also glacial ice found in mountainous areas.
- Sea levels have risen and continue to rise more quickly.
- Plant & animal species have suffered and/or are having to migrate due to the unfavorable climate for their specific species.
- Rainfall (and snowfall) has increased on average globally with more rain happening in areas that typically get a lot of rain.
- Hurricanes & Typhoons have increased and will increase in strength if not in number.
- The temperature has risen approximately 1 degree Fahrenheit on average globally.
The NASA website says:
“Most scientists agree the main cause of the current global warming trend is human expansion of the “greenhouse effect”, the warming that results when the atmosphere traps heat radiating from Earth toward space.”
The most significant changes to earth’s climate change have occurred since the start of the industrial revolution. Don’t panic though because just like any other big change, it starts with making little changes that all together add up to a big result.